Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

Blizzard Cookies Recipe

In case you didn't hear, we are in a state of emergency here in Massachusetts, and banned from going out in the blizzard. Being stuck in the house all day proved to be good motivation to get all the house work done. Once I finished all the laundry, dishes, and cleaning the only thing left to do was to go on a boredom-induced cooking spree.

I got the sudden urge for cookies. Strange, because I'm not a cookie person. I usually make them when someone else asks. My go-to is chocolate chip, but I didn't have the ingredients. And I sure as hell wasn't going outside to get them. So I took stock of what was in the cabinets. I happened to have marshmallows,  caramels, and coconut left over from christmas-time baking, and that was my inspiration for these cookies. Sometimes you've got to work with what you got. This was completely improvised. I like that the end result coincidentally looks like a blizzard.

The base of this cookie is a basic shortbread. It is very buttery and flakey. Yet surdy enough to hold all the melty gooey goodness on top. The marshmallow and caramel make it very chewy, and the butter makes it melt in your mouth. So, so, so good. If you've ever had the candy marshmallow coconut toasties, it's like that, but as a cookie!

Blizzard Cookies




Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • marshmallows
  • caramels
  • shredded coconut
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Cream butter, and slowly whisk in sugar.
  3. Mix flour and salt.
  4. Combine the two mixtures into shortbread dough.
  5. Roll out dough until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into squares, or use cookie cutters.
  6. Place on ungreased pan
  7. Place marshmallows and caramels on top of cookies.
  8. Bake 20-25 mins.
  9. Sprinkle with shredded coconut in last 5 mins of baking.

Things I would do differently, in retrospect:
  • Cut up the marshmallows or use mini marshmallows so they melt more evenly.
  • Spread cookies further apart on baking sheet, they expand quite a bit.



If you try making them, share pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment