Translate

Thursday, December 18, 2014

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant" - Robert Louis Stevenson

It's probably a little early, but I've started thinking about what to grow next year. The 2015 Seed Savers Catalogue came in the mail, and it is already bookmarked and dog-eared to death. This will be the year that I plan far enough ahead to order the unusual heirloom seeds in time for Spring.

Last summer I just planted a slew of things not knowing what would grow well or what we would actually need. Turned out that a lot of what was successful for us was also successful for our CSA farmers. Between our garden and the share there were things we got sick of or couldn't use up (cucumbers!).

There are certain crops, however, that I can never get enough of . . . so here are the things that we didn't see much of that Mike and I decided would be best to grow on our own.

Bell peppers
Onions
Potatoes
Beans
Mint
Rosemary
Garlic
Celery





There are a couple things I miss which we won't grow, probably for the same reasons our farmers don't; asparagus and mushrooms. The process for both of these crops is long and complicated. I've been searching for local farmers, but it seems no one's up to the challenge.

If you know of a mushroom farmer in the Northern Mass/Southern NH area, would you please hook a girl up? My hubby's got a pesky vitamin D deficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment