Translate

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mexican-inspired Quinoa Salad

Usually I enjoy winter, but I think I've reached snow overload. Mostly I'm restless and looking forward to starting my garden. There's plenty of food in the freezer, but I decided to give sprouting a try to to satisfy the urge to see something grow.

Once in a while I miss the fresh tastes of summer. I found some corn still in the freezer so I combined that with some tomatoes and peppers I canned to create a  Mexican inspired quinoa salad. This is a dish I make often in the summer time when those crops are in season. I don't have an exact recipe. It varies each time depending on what I happen to have on hand, which is how I tend to cook. This time it included the following.


Toss together: 
1 cup cooked quinoa
chopped onion
chopped tomatoes
chopped peppers (any kind, sweet or hot)
corn kernels
feta cheese

Season with:
lime juice
chili powder
cumin
oregano
pepper
salt


Other options are beans, sour cream, or monterey jack cheese. Let me know if you give this recipe a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment